Layer as follows:
- Start with 1 empty plate = igneous bedrock layer
- 1 slice of white bread = sandstone layer
- 2 Tbs. chunky peanut butter = sedimentary rock layer called a conglomerate
- 1 slice of brown, whole wheat bread = shale layer
- 2 Tbs. light-colored jam = limestone layer
- 1 slice of dark rye bread = brown sandstone layer or dirt!
Eat and review with Review Game.
For more rock fun:
- Purchase some Geodes. Crack them open and see the cool crystals inside. Kids love this!
- Purchase a Rock Tumbler. Go outside and find some ugly rocks and turn them into something pretty - kind of like God does with us!
- Start a rock collection. Use a field guide like, Looking at Rocks, or for serious collectors, National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals, to help identify the rocks.
- For your younger learners, use Rocks and Minerals Coloring Book.
- Read some scriptures about rocks.
- Complete the Geology worksheet (advanced) and
- For more fun hands-on activities, try Geology Rocks!: 50 Hands-On Activities to Explore the Earth.
- Further study: Cindy's Geology Unit Study.