Thursday, August 13, 2009

Night Fires - Recommended Reading!

Raised in southern Delaware, in the 50's and 60's, I grew up around racial prejudice. I remember the first day our school was desegregated and how I made a new friend. When I got home and told my parents about my new friend, my father informed me that I couldn't have her for a friend because she wasn't the right color. Racial prejudice was ugly then and it's ugly now.

Night Fires by George Edward Stanley is a fictional story about racial prejudice. Woodrow Harper, a 13-year-old boy, and his widowed mother, move to Lawton, Oklahoma. The year is 1922. Woodrow is lonely and wants a father more than anything else in the world. He is befriended by a neighbor, Senator Crawford, who has lost a son. They soon become like father and son, filling the void in each of their lives. What Woodrow doesn't know is that Senator Crawford is the head of the Ku Klux Klan in Lawton.

The story continues as Woodrow struggles to make the right decision when it would be easier for him to make the wrong one. In the process, the reader feels the effects of racial prejudice and sees the evils of the Ku Klux Klan and how it affected everyone in the town. The book may be fiction, but the lessons learned from the book apply today.

I think this book should be required reading for everyone. The book is easy to read and extremely exciting. I read it in one day. It's written for ages 8-12, but I think anyone ages 8+ will enjoy reading it. Highly recommended!

You can purchase this book at Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.